Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Mexican vacation is closer than you think.

Recently, after attending a Day of the Dead festival, My Favorite Mexican* took me to Paisa Grill. It instantly became my favorite Mexican restaurant. Step through the doors and you're transported to someplace south of the border. We walked in on Mexican Karaoke and were quickly ushered to our table.

The décor was Funky Mexican Beach Shack with brightly colored, Aztec-inspired chairs. Signs advertised buckets of beer for $9.99. Weathered tin buckets arrived at tables filled with six iced bottles of Corona.

We ordered the rolled tacos which were deep-fried delicious. Then we shared the Molcajete Grill Supreme. This piping hot stone bowl was loaded with chicken, beef, shrimp, cactus, onions, and a delicious green sauce. It came with house made tortillas. Yum.

If that wasn’t enough, about halfway through our meal, Banda Agave started to play. These handsome Latino musicians were clad in bright green jackets embroidered, studded, and glittered up with the Banda Agave logo. When they started to play, the party kicked into high gear. The group was all brass and drums and Latin vocals that got the crowd to its feet for a night of dancing.

Strangely, I ran into someone from work. Crystal Keating walked past on the way to her table and proclaimed, “What are you doing at my place?” Well, Crystal the secret is out, it’s no longer “your place.”

If you’re looking for an adventurous, authentic Mexican meal without the flight down south, visit Paisa Grill at 2126 South 3200 West.


*My Favorite Mexican informs me that I can no longer call him My Favorite Mexican. His recent naturalization means he's now a citizen and proud to be an American. So consider this a fond farewell.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed Paisa! Brandon and I discovered the place a few years ago when we both worked out there (there aren't many options for lunch in that area) and it quickly became a favorite. I'm pretty picky about mexican food since I grew up with my very own chef, my grandmother :) You are right in that this place transports you to another place, for me it feels like a giant family reunion, complete with all the great food :)

Every time we go there I turn to Brandon jokingly and say "Are you ready to be the whitest person here?" Well, that night it was a surprise to see you guys there, and Brandon had a little company ;) But if more and more people discover the greatness of Paisa then welcome to the family - just leave some corn tortilla's for me ;)